Strawberry young plants - this WAS a gaping hole in our berry young plant range. Historically, strawberry plants have mostly been produced by specialist growers (usually from commercial farming). But our aim is to enable many more growers to produce their own strawberry plants to complement their edibles (vegetables, fruit, other berries) by providing the right quality of young plants. And at the same time, of course, we would like to offer varieties that meet the special needs of home garden cultivation (robust, tasty, easy).
Breeding and young plant quality
Our Lubera® strawberry range, which we can offer you exclusively, differs from the competition in two crucial ways:
Firstly: our plants are micropropagated and are offered in small, easy-to-process plugs but also in our standard young plant tray. So where until now you had to struggle with misshapen frigo plants, cutting back roots, now a small plug or a handy strawberry young plant can simply be pushed into the end pot or tray - by hand or fully automated.
Pictures: The different strawberry young plant sizes from Lubera Edibles
Secondly: The Lubera strawberry varieties have been bred especially for the home garden market - and are not, as in most of the strawberry varieties offered, waste products of commercial farming or simply old varieties which are no longer in demand in commercial farming and which are now still earning their bread and butter in the home garden. The breeding objectives of taste, resistance, simplicity and ornamental value, which are decisive for us and our breeding, are ultimately quite different from those in commercial cultivation. Here it is mainly about colour, shape, firmness, yield, shelf-life, etc.
Picture: The Lubera varieties are evaluated and selected in the field for up to 10 years, so that only the healthiest varieties make it into the assortment.
June-bearing garden strawberry varieties: with fragrance, aroma and extreme fruitiness
The june-bearing strawberry varieties are the classic garden strawberries in the assortment, which are usually planted as a row crop in the home garden. As the name suggests, these are varieties that produce large fruits and one gigantic harvest from late spring into early summer.
We can present two breeding lines of these june-bearing strawberry varieties: On the one hand, the Parfum® series, which goes back breeding-wise to the union of the characteristics of very old strawberries with modern fruit characteristics and delivers more strawberry fragrance and aroma. On the other hand, there is the Frutium® series, which contains modern strawberries, but which have been selected with the main focus on aroma compared to the selections for commercial cultivation. Very special is the fruitiness of these varieties, which is ultimately based on a very high sugar AND acid level - hence the series name Frutium®.
Frutium® Bonneure® - A medium-late variety with very large fruits that have a very fruity strawberry aroma. In addition, this variety has exceptionally healthy and glossy dark green foliage.
Picture: Strawberry Frutium® Bonneure® - Our medium late june-bearing strawberry with the gigantic fruits and the exquisite fruity taste.
Short description Frutium® Bonneure®
- Ripening: medium-late ripening, middle of June - beginning of July
- Fruits: very large and completely coloured fruits
- Taste: extremely fruity strawberry flavour, but the fruits should be harvested fully ripe, only then they develop their full flavour potential.
- Growth: Frutium® Bonneure® forms large but healthy bushes with dark green glossy leaves.
Parfum® Swissheart® - A medium-early variety with large and beautifully red coloured fruits. The fruits are not coloured through with red and the white inside offers a striking and interesting colour contrast. The intense woodland strawberry flavour of the very sweet fruits is particularly striking. The plants themselves have a quite compact growth and healthy foliage.
Picture: Strawberry Parfum® Schweizerherz® - Our early june-bearing strawberry with the white heart
Short description Parfum® Swissheart®
- Ripening: medium-early ripening, from mid-May onwards
- Fruits: large, spreading fruits, red on the outside and white on the inside
- Taste: very sweet with an intense wild strawberry flavour; pleasantly firm texture but not unnaturally hard
- Growth: quite compact growth with healthy foliage
The best everbearing garden strawberry varieties
Everbearing garden strawberry Parfum® Eternal Love®
We like to be careful with superlatives, but with Parfum® Eternal Love® we can really celebrate a breeding breakthrough that leaves other everbearing/day-neutral strawberry varieties far behind in fruit quality. There is simply more sugar, more aroma, and in the finish the seductive and calling for MORE scent of the woodland strawberry...
Parfum® Eternal Love® - A very early variety with medium sized and dark red fruits, which are very sweet and aromatic and have a distinct woodland strawberry flavour. The plants have a compact growth and form runners quickly.
Picture: Strawberry Parfum® Eternal Love® - Our best everbearing garden strawberry
Short description Parfum® Eternal Love®
- Ripening: from the beginning of June; flowers and fruits throughout the summer
- Fruits: medium - large, an intense dark red colour, completely coloured through
- Taste: sweet and fruity with a fine but only subtle acidity and an intense woodland strawberry flavour in the finish; the fruits only develop their full flavour potential when fully ripe (dark red)
- Growth: forms compact plants with healthy foliage
Everbearing garden strawberry Double Pleasure® Delirose®
We are convinced that the garden strawberry will develop into an ornamental strawberry with the best fruit characteristics in the future. And Lubera® strawberry breeding is working intensively on this. The ornamental value, which has come about through crossing with the genus 'Potentilla' and is responsible for the red and pink blossoms, should remain and of course also be developed. But the fruits still have to taste much better. With the light pink flowering and robust garden strawberry Double Pleasure® Delirose® the breeders at Lubera® have already come quite close to this goal.
Double Pleasure® Delirose® - An everbearing garden strawberry with striking light pink flowers and exceptional fruit quality. Among ornamental strawberries, Delirose® is by far the best tasting strawberry variety on the market. It can compete with the best "normal" (white-flowering & june-bearing) strawberries.
Picture: Strawberry Double Pleasure® Delirose® - Our everbearing delicacy strawberry with the light pink blossoms.
Short description Double Pleasure® Delirose®
- Ripening: from the beginning of June, in batches throughout the summer
- Fruits: medium sized, rather roundish in shape
- Taste: excellent fruit characteristics, fruity-sweet with a lot of aroma and a fine acidity
- Growth: upright growth, but relatively compact
Everbearing pot strawberries with ornamental value and fantastic fruit
Why shouldn't a strawberry plant also be a beautiful ornamental plant? There is nothing to be said against it, as long as the aroma and taste are not neglected. By crossing woodland strawberry, Fragaria vesca and F. vescana hybrids, the breeders at Lubera® have succeeded in breeding a whole series of ornamental strawberries that happily develop the beautiful inflorescences above the leaves, are extremely reblooming and still develop super sweet and aromatic fruits.
Everbearing Balcony/Pot Strawberry
Parfum® Fraisibelle® - A medium late variety with large, dark red and aromatic fruits that have a slight perfume note (woodland strawberry flavour). The plants have a normal growth habit and are characterised by healthy foliage. The flowering in summer and autumn is even stronger than in spring! The flowers have a high ornamental value because they are above the foliage.
Pictures: Strawberry Parfum® Fraisibelle® - The ideal everbearing strawberry for the pot and/or balcony box
Short description Parfum® Fraisibelle®
- Ripening: first fruits in early - mid June; main yield comes in the second half of summer
- Fruits: medium - large, very beautiful dark red colouring
- Flavour: aromatic fruits with a slight scent of woodland strawberry flavour, closest in flavour to the Frutium® series of all Parfum® varieties
- Growth: very typical for the variety are the stable and long flower stems, which are clearly visible above the foliage.
- Use: the ideal long-lasting potting strawberry with a good yield, also good for the balcony box or as underplanting
Hanging and climbing strawberries - with gourmet value
In addition, we also have everbearing hanging and climbing strawberries in our range. Parfum® Freeclimber® is a variety that forms runners extremely quickly and also fruits on them immediately. This is the right strawberry variety for hanging baskets or for strawberry trees with attached runners - unlike the name suggests, the strawberries cannot climb themselves but have to be attached. Other possibilities include using it for balustrade planting or as a ground cover plant.
Parfum® Freeclimber® - A medium-early variety with dark red, sweet-aromatic fruits. The plants are strong-growing and healthy and quickly form runners that immediately fruit again.
Picture: Strawberry Parfum® Freeclimber® - Our perfect variety for Hanging Baskets or Pyramids
Short description Parfum® Freeclimber®.
- Ripening: medium early, from the beginning of June, ripens in batches throughout the summer
- Fruits: medium sized and rather roundish in shape
- Flavour: intensely sweet with a distinct woodland strawberry flavour on the finish and in the nose
- Growth: healthy and strong growth, forms runners very quickly that flower and fruit again immediately
Everbearing ornamental strawberries - the Double Pleasure® series
Lubera®'s strawberry breeding programme has recently seen the emergence of a whole new strawberry family, the Doubles Pleasure® strawberries. A whole series of red and pink flowering ornamental strawberry varieties and very good fruiting characteristics. Unlike the well-known varieties on the market, our Double Pleasure® strawberry young plants are vegetatively propagated and are usually offered in our standard young plant size, but are also available as smaller plug plants in exceptional cases.
In the Double Pleasure® series, for the first time in the rose-flowering varieties, the priority has been placed on fruit quality, which is and will be on a par with the garden varieties. One more addition is allowed here: the existing hybrid varieties in the rose-flowering range are of necessity largely produced and selected in the greenhouse, otherwise hybrid breeding is not possible for strawberries. At Lubera, the entire breeding process - selection of seedlings, propagation of selections, test stage A, B and C - takes place outdoors, entirely without plant protection. This generally leads to a higher selection pressure and, as a result, to more robust varieties.
The Double Pleasure® strawberry young plant assortment
Ornamental strawberry Double Pleasure® Hanging Pink Wonder® - Impresses with its extremely opulent flowers in an intensely bright pink. The flowers are semi-double and stand on long flower stems, which gives the variety its "hanging" character. A large number of sweet and aromatic fruits form from the flowers. The strong runner formation, which immediately starts to flower again, reinforces the hanging character.
Pictures: Strawberry Double Pleasure® Hanging Pink Wonder® - Our everbearing ornamental strawberry with the opulent pink flowers
Short description Double Pleasure® Hanging Pink Wonder®
- Ripening: from mid-May and then throughout the summer
- Fruit: medium sized with a roundish shape
- Taste: sweet and aromatic, somewhat soft but very juicy
- Growth: strong-growing, with many runners that quickly start to flower again
- Uses: Baskets, balcony boxes, balustrade planting, ground cover
Ornamental strawberry Double Pleasure® Standing Pink Wonder® - A striking ornamental strawberry with a decorative, compact growth habit. The flowers are on sturdy and slightly spreading flower stems, clearly visible above the compact foliage. The flowers are an intense, almost fluorescent pink.
Pictures: Strawberry Double Pleasure® Standing Pink Wonder® - Our everbearing ornamental strawberry with the upright and striking pink flowers.
Short description Double Pleasure® Standing Pink Wonder®
- Ripening: early, from the beginning of May, all summer long
- Fruit: medium sized, aromatic elongated fruits, large yields throughout the ripening period
- Taste: sweet and juicy, good strawberry flavour
- Growth: relatively compact growth with well visible, upright flower stems
- Use: ideal variety for pots and window boxes
Ornamental strawberry Double Pleasure® Happy Eyes® - The youngest child of the Double Pleasure® family with strikingly coloured flowers. The intensely pink petals become noticeably darker towards the centre. Which gives the appearance that the flowers have an eye. Due to the long and opulent inflorescences and the many runners that flower again immediately, Double Pleasure® Happy Eyes® is the perfect ornamental strawberry variety for the production of hanging baskets.
Picture: Strawberry Double Pleasure® Happy Eyes® - Our eye-catching everbearing ornamental strawberry with the pink flowers and the darker eye.
Short description Double Pleasure® Happy Eyes®
- Ripening: from mid/end of May, flowers and ripens throughout the summer
- Fruit: medium sized, rather elongated fruits, not too dark coloured
- Taste: fruity-sweet taste with a good strawberry aroma
- Growth: strong-growing with a hanging growth habit, ideal for hanging baskets
Last but not least: woodland strawberries
One last group that should not be missing in our assortment are the woodland strawberries. Here too, we are fortunate to be able to offer a good selection of the well-known variety 'Alexandria'.
Woodland strawberry Alexandria - A woodland strawberry with a lot of small but very aromatic fruits. The plants are medium in growth and do not form runners.
Picture: Strawberry Alexandria - Our super-aromatic woodland strawberry, bears fruit until the first frost.
Short description woodland strawberry Alexandria
- Ripening: from the beginning of July, until the first frost there are constantly ripe fruits
- Fruits: small, but extremely aromatic fruits that invite you to snack on them
- Growth: medium growth, does not form runners
Strawberry young plants from Lubera Edibles - the ultimate advantage for plant production companies
As we said, with strawberry young plants from Lubera Edibles, the tedious potting of Frigo young plants is a thing of the past; the potting capacity with our strawberry young plants is certainly three times greater than with Frigo plants. It is also possible to process the strawberry young plants mechanically, with a potting/pricking robot. These technical advantages are all the more important when you consider that you also get an exclusive variety concept with the young plants, which is different on the market.
Picture: All of our strawberry young plants can be processed by machine.
When to pot strawberry young plants?
A final tip. The market for strawberry plants is tending more and more towards spring. The times when the actual strawberry season took place in summer are probably definitely over. Thanks to Lubera Edibles young plants, it is possible to react ideally to this new seasonal challenge: It is possible to pot up June to August without any problems in order to be on the market with strong plants in spring. The production of larger pots, P9 to P12, has proved particularly successful, but trays of 4, 6 and 10 can also be produced with our strawberry young plants without any problems.